Houston Cocaine Charges Attorney
COCAINE CHARGES LAWYER IN HOUSTON, TX
Cocaine Charges In Houston
Cocaine is an illegal substance. Possession of any amount of cocaine or a cocaine derivate is unlawful under Texas State Law. According to the Texas Controlled Substances Act, cocaine is classified under Penalty Group I and is considered one of the most dangerous controlled substances. If you are arrested for the possession, manufacturing, distribution, or delivery of cocaine in Houston, TX, you need an experienced drug defense attorney who understands the law and will fight for a positive outcome in your case.
Attorney James Alston is a former state and federal prosecutor who worked on the Organized Crime Drug Task Force. He understands how prosecutors think and always provides an aggressive defense for his clients. Contact James Alston Law today at (713) 228-1400 to schedule a consultation.
Possession Of Cocaine In Houston
Under Texas Health and Safety Code Section 481.115, it is unlawful for a person to “knowingly or intentionally possess a controlled substance listed in Penalty Group 1.” Cocaine is considered a highly dangerous substance with a high likelihood of abuse and thus is criminally classified under Penalty Group 1. The penalties for possession of cocaine in the State of Texas depend on the quantity of the drug.
- Less than one gram – if you are found in possession of less than one gram of cocaine, you may be charged with a state jail felony and face jail time of 180 days up to two (2) years and a fine not to exceed $10,000.
- One to less than four grams – if found in possession of between one and four grams of cocaine, you could be charged with a felony of the third degree and punished by two (2) to ten (10) years imprisonment and a fine not to exceed $10,000.
- Four to less than 200 grams – possession of more than four grams but less than 200 grams may result in a felony of the second degree, punishable by between two (2) and twenty (20) years imprisonment and a fine not to exceed $10,000.
- 200 to less than 400 grams – may lead to a conviction of a 1st-degree felony and is punishable by life in prison or a term of not more than 99 years or less than five (5) years and a fine up to $10,000.
- Over 400 grams – can lead to imprisonment for life in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice or a prison sentence between ten (10) and 99 years and a fine not to exceed $100,000.
Manufacturing Or Delivery Of Cocaine
Under Texas Health and Safety Code 481.112, it is unlawful if a person “knowingly manufactures, delivers, or possesses with intent to deliver a controlled substance listed in Penalty Group 1.” The penalties for manufacturing or delivering cocaine depend on the amount in possession or the amount transferred.
- Less than one gram – punishable by a state jail felony and up to two (2) years in jail and a fine not to exceed $10,000.
- One to less than four grams – 2nd-degree felony, punishable by imprisonment of not more than twenty (20) years and a fine not to exceed $10,000.
- Four to less than 200 grams – 1st-degree felony, punishable by life in prison or a term not to exceed 99 years and a fine not to exceed $10,000.
- 200 grams to less than 400 grams – punishable with life imprisonment in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice or a sentence of not more than 99 years or less than ten (10) years and a fine of up to $100,000.
- Over 400 grams – punishable with life imprisonment in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice or a sentence of not more than 99 years or less than 15 years and a fine of up to $250,000.
CONTACT A HOUSTON COCAINE CHARGES DEFENSE ATTORNEY TODAY
If you are arrested for cocaine charges in Houston, Texas, you need a knowledgeable criminal defense attorney who can help you prepare a thorough defense. At James Alston Law, protecting your rights and protecting your freedom is our top priority. Contact Attorney James Alston today for a consultation. Mr. Alston is a leading criminal defense attorney who previously worked for the Harris County District Attorney’s Office. He is a seasoned litigator who will not hesitate to take your case to trial. If you or a loved one has been charged with a cocaine offense, contact Houston Criminal Defense Lawyer James Alston today at (713) 228-1400.