With its close proximity to the Mexican-American border, Houston sees quite a few arrests for alien smuggling. This illegal activity is a federal offense that is outlined in Title 8 of the U.S. Code.
Alien smuggling may consist of these actions:
- Bringing in aliens at any place other than a port of entry
- Transporting or moving aliens
- Harboring, protecting or concealing aliens
- Encouraging aliens to come to the United States
Alien Smuggling Penalties
The penalties related to alien smuggling may involve two to 20 years in prison. The exact duration of a sentence depends on the nature of the offense. According to the U.S. Code, these extenuating circumstances can cause an individual to receive a harsher sentence:
- Smuggling or harboring an illegal alien for financial gain
- Endangering another person’s life due to smuggling
- Having previously been charged with alien smuggling
The penalties for alien smuggling are very harsh. An alien smuggling attorney can effectively help a defendant fight his charges and keep him from suffering any unnecessary consequences.
A Strong Defense That Works in Your Favor
Attorney James Alston has a clear advantage when it comes to defending clients against alien smuggling charges. He is a former assistant United States attorney and has prosecuted smuggling cases in the past. Mr. Alston is also a board-certified criminal lawyer and a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.